As part of plans for a separate state, a new courthouse in Ross County was selected to serve as the first statehouse. Many Ohioans remember traveling to Sugar Loaf, the state's largest lake, to sit under the stars and experience Tecumseh. The courthouse bells rang in the celebration on the day it was announced that Ohio had become a state.
Designed in 1907 by Ohio's favorite architect Frank Packard, the house became part of the Ross County Historical Society in 1972. Completed between 1806 and 1807, the manor house has been restored and looks like it did when the Worthington family lived there, including many of their furniture.
The Museum and Visitor Center displays exhibits that give visitors an idea of life in Ohio in the early 19th century, using the stories of the people associated with Adena. Chillicothe has several public parks, including Ross County Historical Society Park and Yoctangee Park, as well as several private parks. The largest of these parks - YoCTangees Park - consists of a playground, picnic area, amphitheatre and water fountain. There is also a skate park in Yoctorangeed Park called Henry Good's Skate Park, built with the help of local resident and skateboarder Robert Good Jr.
The park is managed by the National Park Service and has the largest concentration of Native American earthworks. Three prisons also currently occupy part of Hopewell American Indian Earthworks, a national park dedicated to the conservation of Hopewell American Indian Earthworks.
It is the largest concentration of Indian earthworks in the United States and houses the largest collection of ancient and modern Indians in the world - today's Indians.
The people of Chillicothe call the area the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, and it is the first or third capital of Ohio. It is located in Ross County, Ohio, USA, north of Cincinnati and is surrounded by farming communities. KOTH - ee) is a small town of about 1,500 people, about one-third of the population as defined by the U.S. Census Bureau in 2003. Chillicothe is the only town in Ross County located more than 100 miles from the Ohio River, and is also located on the western edge of Ross County, in the eastern part of the state.
In the south and east there are winding country roads, a few small towns and, when crossing a stream, the Ohio River. Digging a little deeper and taking the exit from the freeway, you will find that what Charleston, South Carolina, has become in the Midwest, if you take an exit from that freeway.
In the 19th century, Chillicothe was named the capital of the Northwest Territory and moved from the provincial capital to that city. In 1802, the city hosted the Ohio Constitutional Convention as Ohio moved toward statehood, and in 1803 it became the state's first capital. The capital returned to Chilliothe for a few years, before moving to Columbus, 45 km north, in 1816.
The Ohio Legislature was forced to reconsider the decision to move the capital to Chillicothe, and the city of Franklinton won the bid by not only providing a new location for the state building, but also promising to build a state prison at no cost to the state and a brand new city called Ohio City, Ohio. Shawnee leader Tecumseh gave a fiery speech in the National Assembly, assuring the legislature that the unified Indian population would be friendly to the settlers. After giving Thomas Worthington a ceremonial peace pipe, he took up arms against the settlers and was killed.
Massie decided to settle in Chillicothe with his wife and two sons, John and William, and their two daughters, Mary and Mary.
Early migrants in Chillicothe included free blacks, who came from countries with fewer restrictions than slave states. The Scioto River location meant that early travelers could travel by boat to the tributaries of the Mississippi system. Many Indian trails led here, which meant that in the early days you could travel by canoe from here to other places, even though Ohio was a free state.
Chillicothe was home to an old train station where people traveled and stopped for a moment, and many people worked there, while others commuted for about an hour to Ohio's current capital, Columbus. The residents of Chillicotos acquired a railroad that was taken over by new owners, including the United States Railway Company (USR) and the Ohio and Ohio Pacific Railroad.
The Ohio and Erie Canals connected Chillicothe to other parts of the state, expanding the city's market, and the railroad ran from east to west, while the Canal handled business from north to south. The sewer system, combined with the construction of the Marietta and the Cincinnati Railroad, attracted many new settlers from Pennsylvania, Delaware and Maryland.
Downtown Chillicothe thrived, and the Blue Brick Inn was located in the heart of the city, just blocks from the Ohio and Erie Canals.